About Me

My photo
i am a stay-at-home mom living, learning and loving by the bay!I love to take pictures. I love to crochet cozy things for my family and friends.

May 12, 2011

Homemade Milk Chocolate


Goose attended a homeschool class about chocolate last week.
She came home eager to make some at home!
We started with these organic cacao nibs.
Have you ever tasted raw cacao?
It does NOT taste good!



First we roasted them in the oven at 250 degrees for 18 minutes.
They were already starting to smell really good!




After letting them cool, we placed them in a food processor.
You have to grind them for maybe 10 minutes until they start to liquefy.
This is called chocolate liquor.




Next comes the sugar. 
And you need a LOT of sugar!
We just kept adding it until we were satisfied with the sweetness.
Then you add vanilla extract.  We added about 1 tablespoon.
Continue grinding.



Now comes the milk.
We used 2% because that's what we had on hand.
I am sure whole milk would be the way to go if you have it.
Again, continue adding the milk until the chocolate is to your liking.





And now you have homemade milk chocolate!
Binky and friend thought it was too bitter and needed more sugar.
But Goose and I liked it.
I was surprised at how much sugar you really need to make it edible!
I can't wait to play with the recipe and add different flavors like orange or lavender.
Who knew it was so easy to make homemade milk chocolate!

4 comments:

  1. You know I grew up on Chocolate Avenue in Hershey, PA?

    And...you must tell your sweet Goose that this is EXACTLY how Hershey makes chocolate! Your little operation looks like a miniature version of the tour at Hershey's Chocolate World! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A chocolate class? now there's my kind of class!!!
    I can imagine how wonderful it must of smelled:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness this is soooooo cool! I will definitely have to try this with my kiddos. You are an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete